Days 81 – 90

I haven’t done anything related to writing or editing at all. However, I do not feel bummed out. I think that is an improvement. In the last few days, I have however thought up a third story during this pandemic. It’s a portal fantasy and I have only the bare bones of what I want to happen. But I’m going to have a fun adventure with it.

Days 71 – 80

The last ten days have been unproductive. I didn’t edit or write anything. I have been looking at writing a new supernatural thriller though. I’ve got some story planned, but I don’t know how it ends. I’m not sure how long it’ll be either.

However, at the same time a YouTuber – Derek Murphy, I follow came out with this long video about novel writing basics. At the end of the video, there is a small exercise where who fill in the blanks about what your story is about. It actually helped me a bit with the story I’m working on. I have added some more things to it and it’s starting to become something more.

Days 61 – 70

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438

This next draft took some time to get into. I was a little put off by the idea of changing the ending, but those re-writes would only affect the last chapter. In the end, I didn’t do the changes as I’m still undecided. I spent yesterday afternoon working out my synopsis because I didn’t like the one I made. I think it has helped me flesh out my story some more and I might need to tweak some parts of the story. Like adding a bit more of a back story or adding some more characterisation.

I’m also cooking up another story. I haven’t worked out all the genres or plot points yet, but I like what I have. I think I already have a title for it as well ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway, this is what I did during the last ten days ๐Ÿ™‚

  1. Nothing.
  2. Nothing.
  3. Edited 2 1/2 pages.
  4. Nothing.
  5. Nothing.
  6. Edited 7 1/2 pages.
  7. Edited 15 pages.
  8. Editing 10 pages.
  9. Re-wrote/updates synopsis.
  10. Nothing.

Synopsis attempts

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

I can write a 20+ thousand story, but can’t push out a faithful 250-word synopsis.

The Dragon’s Mate is a five-chapter, third-person omniscient novella that switches POVs each chapter with the last chapter being a combined POV. It goes between Osbert, a young wizard’s apprentice and Estrid, a 14-year-old woodcutter’s daughter. It’s a low-level medieval fantasy set prior to the 1100’s (if I give you a rough time setting).

My first attempt was to focus on Osbert’s character and his journey. However, it completely ignores Estrid, who has an active and equal role in the story progression.ย The second attempt focused on both characters but I made it seem like they team up to take down the baddie which doesn’t happen. So my next attempt I figured I take out the characters and focus on a more grand scale focusing on the antagonist of the story. But it’s misleading because his character isn’t the focus, it’s Osbert. I do this new synopsis is an improvement, it’s not exactly faithful to the story. I am liking the direction it is heading though so I might tweak my story to fit it ๐Ÿ™‚

Second draft of The Dragon’s Mate completed

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

Just finished a second draft and I think I that I only have line and copy edits left to do. I was planning on changing the ending, but I now think it’s fine the way it is.

I can’t believe that this story is almost done. Could it be that I’ve gotten to this level where I can just churn something out and it be decent the first time around? Dare I hope that this is where I am now?

How did I get to this position? I suppose that it is because I not only had a rough plan; I am also more objectively critical about making decisions regarding my work. I don’t agonise over something and waste time. Also, the idea that nothing needs to be perfect is quite freeing.

Days 51 – 60

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

These last ten days have been lazy for me, though it never felt like it. I let The Dragon’s Mate rest for a few days and then did an entire edit in two days.

My editing comprised mostly line and grammar, not structural, but I’m thinking of changing the ending. I realised that as I wrote the synopsis, that I wasn’t satisfied with the end. So I’m going to re-write it, I think I know how I will do it too.
Well anyway, this is what I did towards my creative projects in the last 10 days.
  1. Wrote 700 words.
  2. Wrote 800 words.
  3. Nothing.
  4. Nothing.
  5. Nothing.
  6. Nothing.
  7. Nothing.
  8. Edited 30 pages.
  9. Edited 5 pages.
  10. Nothing.

Draft 1 of The Dragon’s Mate

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

Just completed the first draft of The Dragon’s Mate. I didn’t do any structural changes because I took care of that in the first write-up. But after writing up the synopsis for the first time, I saw that there might be some changes in the next edits. In a nutshell, the one-line synopsis is; A wizard’s apprentice must overcome his fear of his King to ensure that the realm is safe from his desire to control the last known dragon in existence. An extended version is on the page for the novella.