Days 61 – 70

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438

This next draft took some time to get into. I was a little put off by the idea of changing the ending, but those re-writes would only affect the last chapter. In the end, I didn’t do the changes as I’m still undecided. I spent yesterday afternoon working out my synopsis because I didn’t like the one I made. I think it has helped me flesh out my story some more and I might need to tweak some parts of the story. Like adding a bit more of a back story or adding some more characterisation.

I’m also cooking up another story. I haven’t worked out all the genres or plot points yet, but I like what I have. I think I already have a title for it as well 🙂 Anyway, this is what I did during the last ten days 🙂

  1. Nothing.
  2. Nothing.
  3. Edited 2 1/2 pages.
  4. Nothing.
  5. Nothing.
  6. Edited 7 1/2 pages.
  7. Edited 15 pages.
  8. Editing 10 pages.
  9. Re-wrote/updates synopsis.
  10. Nothing.

Second draft of The Dragon’s Mate completed

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

Just finished a second draft and I think I that I only have line and copy edits left to do. I was planning on changing the ending, but I now think it’s fine the way it is.

I can’t believe that this story is almost done. Could it be that I’ve gotten to this level where I can just churn something out and it be decent the first time around? Dare I hope that this is where I am now?

How did I get to this position? I suppose that it is because I not only had a rough plan; I am also more objectively critical about making decisions regarding my work. I don’t agonise over something and waste time. Also, the idea that nothing needs to be perfect is quite freeing.

Days 51 – 60

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

These last ten days have been lazy for me, though it never felt like it. I let The Dragon’s Mate rest for a few days and then did an entire edit in two days.

My editing comprised mostly line and grammar, not structural, but I’m thinking of changing the ending. I realised that as I wrote the synopsis, that I wasn’t satisfied with the end. So I’m going to re-write it, I think I know how I will do it too.
Well anyway, this is what I did towards my creative projects in the last 10 days.
  1. Wrote 700 words.
  2. Wrote 800 words.
  3. Nothing.
  4. Nothing.
  5. Nothing.
  6. Nothing.
  7. Nothing.
  8. Edited 30 pages.
  9. Edited 5 pages.
  10. Nothing.

Draft 1 of The Dragon’s Mate

Digital-artistic-Sketch-of-a-Dragon-1146713332_2092x1438
My current quarantine project.

Just completed the first draft of The Dragon’s Mate. I didn’t do any structural changes because I took care of that in the first write-up. But after writing up the synopsis for the first time, I saw that there might be some changes in the next edits. In a nutshell, the one-line synopsis is; A wizard’s apprentice must overcome his fear of his King to ensure that the realm is safe from his desire to control the last known dragon in existence. An extended version is on the page for the novella.

11 – 20 Days

These ten days have been all over the place. I’ve switched to another story because this one is actually complete and I didn’t want to write new stuff when I had a whole draft waiting. The Cadetship was completed in 2016 and has mostly been left untouched. It has already gone through one draft years ago, but now I’m back to finish it. It was during the editing of the first part that I’ve decided to change the name to Becoming Stardust. I was planning on releasing the first part as a free prologue/short story to get people interested and then add it to the paperback.

I’m having so much fun editing this piece 🙂 But I seem to be putting a lot of pressure on myself as well. My editing stamina has gone down and I can only do so much before I get miserable. I think it is because the edits I’m doing are a more complete overhaul and not minor sentence changes. Some entire chapters were just solid red in track changes mode 😦 But I wasn’t bothered because I know that it means that I’ve improved with my writing and don’t see it as a failure.

  1. Nothing
  2. Nothing
  3. Nothing
  4. Nothing
  5. Edited the first 12 pages twice.
  6. Edited the 11 pages
  7. Edited 8 pages
  8. Nothing
  9. Edited 7 pages
  10. Nothing

1 – 10 days

The first ten days of trying to get myself back into writing did not go well. I got distracted by games and even today played a good six hours of The Sims. And to top things off, I had my giant cross-stitch that I ordered online arrive a few days early. Here is a breakdown of what I did.

  1. 1 1/2 pages edited.
  2. 4 1/2 pages edited.
  3. Nothing.
  4. 8 pages edited.
  5. Nothing.
  6. Nothing.
  7. Nothing
  8. 7 pages edited.
  9. Nothing.
  10. Nothing.

My goal of doing something every day seemed to be too much of a reach. After weeks of not doing anything towards my writing, I am still disappointed by what I have accomplished. All this editing was on one story and I had gone and done substantial changes on it despite this being old ground. Maybe I’ve levelled up again, but who knows.  Below is the track changes I have done. It ends after the first page on the third row.

as1

100 days of writing, editing, and story-making.

My arrival in Utrecht coincides with the coronavirus shutdown. The beginning of my six months of freedom should be documented to make me more accountable. I plan to make the most of this time and make up for the last year of general disappointments. I’ll be updating my progress in 10 day lots as opposed to weekly because I’m now running in a different time zone. So look out for my progress reports and see if I either fly or fall 🙂