I’ve set goals in the past. Done things like post them to this blog as a form of accountability. I’ve usually achieve some but not others. In the last year I’ve pretty much been lazy about it. I’d list everything on piece of paper and then forget all about it. But I got the genius idea to actually find a goal check list on word templates and see what pops up.
So I found something that might fit me and put in my goals for the next six months. I’ve added the expected completion dates in hopes of pushing me along. Maybe if I view everything as an assignment then it might change how I see it.
The immediate things I want to complete this year is to publish Matt and Rose, hopefully within the next six weeks 🙂 I want to complete the manuscript for my other story, so far titled, Those in the Forest, by the end of January.
Since March I have all the time in the day to write. For the most part I have spent my time equal parts writing, moaning about not writing, and wondering why my organic self cannot work like a machine. However it has not been a complete waste like I infer. These are the things I have done during quarantine;
The Dragon’s Mate: I wrote, edited and self-published this novella in two months.
Matt and Rose: A novelette that is just about ready.
Those in the Forest: Plan for a supernatural story about an escapee from a recluse cult. Only has a few thousand words have been written. Probably won’t be done for at least a year.
My last post mentioned that I was working on a novella, but it turns out that this story is going to be a novelette – it is under 15,000 words.
I for one cannot believe that I was able to churn this story out in under three weeks! But I did it. It was another quarantine idea that I had thought up off and finished within 2020. I have one more to go. The fact that I’m going to finish this story by the end of September shows that I’m on a roll. I’m going to meet my goal of two stories by the end of the year 🙂
This novelette will be priced at 0.99 cents and I’m planning on having it out by September 31st. Then I’m going to go on to my other supernatural story. That one is going to be longer, but I’m not sure what the word count will be.
How I managed to write this in under a month comes down to simply putting in the time. I did not write every day. When I did write I would range from a few hundred words to just under two thousand. I didn’t edit that much during the writing process, but I do think I added comments to change things as I went. I also found the internet a big distraction and I wonder how much more I could have accomplished if I was cut off.
I had fun with this little piece. I wrote in a difference voice to what I’m used to and I even switch POV’s. The first chapter is in 2nd, while the rest is in 3rd. I think that was the best way to start the story. I also have a male protagonist as the lead. Never done that before. I’m not sure how many edits I’ll do. I get better at writing with each new story and this is no different.
I’ve got a new story coming. The first draft is done and it’s just under 15,000 words. I have even done a book cover.
It follows Matt, a 20’s something beer shop employee who lives in a semi-stoner house who has just come out of a car wreck. Not only has he been knocked about, he also had this weird dream about him been murdered.
Then he does something stupid, he blabs about it at a party, after working out who the killer is. Now he is sure he is being hunted by the perpetrator and done for.
I’m writing two supernatural novellas 🙂 One is about a young man experiencing paranormal events after a car crash, and another is about a young woman whose escape from a backwoods cult. I’ve written over 5000 words for each story, and I might have them completed by the end of the year. I don’t know how long each will be and I haven’t figured out titles for them either.
I completed another edit of The Dragon’s Mate. I added some more things that help add and explain some parts of the story. Then I went and re-wrote the synopsis. I still think there are some more things to tweak, but it’s getting close to completion 🙂