I’m going to aim high and release three stories this year. I haven’t made a concrete decision on what stories I’ll be focusing on but who cares? Currently, I have a ton of novellas and novelettes more than novels so it’ll probs be those stories instead of actual novels. It’s been a while since I worked on my sci-fi stories (there are quite a few) so I might look over those.
I made myself the goal of self-publishing twice this year and I have 🙂 My novella The Dragon’s Mate came out in August and the novelette Matt and Rose dropped only a few days ago. Both are a $1.99 and are available through Amazon and Smashwords plus their networks.
I was worrying about not having Matt and Rose out in time because I seem to be going through a writing/editing slump despite having ample content to produce.
Next year I want to release three stories of any size. I think I can definitely get two out, but I should aim for the stars shouldn’t I.
I just put together all my stories from 2016 to 2019 into a 5 x 8 paperback. It is 371 pages long and the stories that are in this book are;
My Cousin Megan,
From the Mountain,
The Backup Girl,
The Witch’s Room,
The Things We Do,
Feet or Fins and The Dragon’s Mate are not in the collection. I called it Buds, as in plant buds, because while they are not the first stories I wrote (I have a bunch of short stories from uni), they are the emergence of my writing style. I think in a few years’ time I’ll put out another collection as I think my novelettes and novellas are not long enough for their own paperbacks.
Since March I have all the time in the day to write. For the most part I have spent my time equal parts writing, moaning about not writing, and wondering why my organic self cannot work like a machine. However it has not been a complete waste like I infer. These are the things I have done during quarantine;
The Dragon’s Mate: I wrote, edited and self-published this novella in two months.
Matt and Rose: A novelette that is just about ready.
Those in the Forest: Plan for a supernatural story about an escapee from a recluse cult. Only has a few thousand words have been written. Probably won’t be done for at least a year.
I’ve got a new story coming. The first draft is done and it’s just under 15,000 words. I have even done a book cover.
It follows Matt, a 20’s something beer shop employee who lives in a semi-stoner house who has just come out of a car wreck. Not only has he been knocked about, he also had this weird dream about him been murdered.
Then he does something stupid, he blabs about it at a party, after working out who the killer is. Now he is sure he is being hunted by the perpetrator and done for.
I’m writing two supernatural novellas 🙂 One is about a young man experiencing paranormal events after a car crash, and another is about a young woman whose escape from a backwoods cult. I’ve written over 5000 words for each story, and I might have them completed by the end of the year. I don’t know how long each will be and I haven’t figured out titles for them either.
My journey to this event was both straight forward like I stated above and just as bumpy. Between each step, I had many moments of anguish and worries that I wouldn’t get this done at all. After all, I have many uncompleted manuscripts. But I finished it. This might be my second fastest publication. If I was a lesser person, I might have given up when I got my feedback on the first beta read. But I fixed it rather than throw it away.
How was my mind during this time?
Well, I arrived just on lockdown, and that might have been both a blessing and a curse. I had no distractions, but I found them. I had nobody to talk to, but I might have shied away from them under the guise of writing. I had no job and yet couldn’t make writing my job. I was harder on myself than I should have been. However, I still managed to complete it 🙂
So what happens next?
Well, I have a bunch of other stories I came up with around the same time as The Dragon’s Mate, so I might work on those 🙂
I completed another edit of The Dragon’s Mate. I added some more things that help add and explain some parts of the story. Then I went and re-wrote the synopsis. I still think there are some more things to tweak, but it’s getting close to completion 🙂
This next draft took some time to get into. I was a little put off by the idea of changing the ending, but those re-writes would only affect the last chapter. In the end, I didn’t do the changes as I’m still undecided. I spent yesterday afternoon working out my synopsis because I didn’t like the one I made. I think it has helped me flesh out my story some more and I might need to tweak some parts of the story. Like adding a bit more of a back story or adding some more characterisation.
I’m also cooking up another story. I haven’t worked out all the genres or plot points yet, but I like what I have. I think I already have a title for it as well 🙂 Anyway, this is what I did during the last ten days 🙂