As my burnout is starting to dissipate I’m beginning to think more about my stories. This one from years ago, a post-apocalyptic survival story, has begun to gain more traction in my mind.
Looking back at the dates on the files I see that one is from ’14, the next is ’15 and the last was from ’16. I pretty much know the ins and outs of the narrative and just need to write a complete first draft. I have a partially completed one, but I think it is only a quarter or a third done.
A few weeks ago I went back and edited the first couple of pages. Below you can see that I’ve ripped apart everything. I pretty much just changed the POV from first to third and elaborated on a few things. I‘m actually pretty impressed with my skill level from a few years ago. It makes me feel better about myself. It’s also the only story I have so far that is sectioned into parts or super long 10,000 words chapters.
I also have to do other things like format it to the Smashwords style because this was pre-template age for me. (I made a Smashwords style word doc to make things a lot easier for me). I also came to a little snag in terms of the plot near the beginning, but it’s nothing I can’t fix. I’m not too sure how long this will be or even if I’ve got the right title for it yet. But I’m hoping that maybe I might get this draft done by the end of the year 🙂